About this Guide
A selected list of e-Reference Resources.
Search All (Gale Virtual Reference Library)
Search for relevant encyclopedias on your topic.
Selected Subject Encyclopedias
For more encyclopedias, go to subject pages.
These sources will provide full text entries online:
These search tools can help you locate encyclopedias in both print and online formats:
English Language Dictionaries
Biographies - General
Biographies - Subject Specific
- Acta Sanctorum Database. Collection of texts on the lives of the saints from the beginning of the Christian era to the end of the sixteenth century.
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. . Biographies of the 20th century cardinals and of the events and documents concerning the origin of the Roman cardinalate ... [more] and its historic evolution.
Arts & Humanities
Biographies - By Geographic Area
- Ancestry Library Edition Searchable genealogical information on billions of names across thousands of census and related collections.
- Biography and genealogy master index. Indexes hundreds of biographical sources covering individuals, living and dead, from every field of activity worldwide.
- BlackPast.org. . Provides reference materials on six centuries of African American history. Includes an online encyclopedia of hundreds of famous and lesser known figures in African America.
lesser known figures in African America, full text primary documents and major speeches of black activists and leaders from the 18th century to the present. Links to hundreds of websites covering the history of African Americans, including major black museums and archival research centers in the U.S. and Canada. [less]
- Ellis Island. The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation (SOLEIF) web site for searching immigration records from Ellis Island’s archives.
- Family Search. . An important source for genealogy research maintained by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Genealogy Home Page. An all-in-one resource for genealogy topics.
- Geneaology.com. Online resource for genealogy searches.
- World vital records. Provides genealogy databases and family history networking tools. Includes U.S. content, plus international data like the United Kingdom ... [more] censuses, birth, marriage, and death records, Genealogical Publishing Company, Archive CD Books Australia, the International Newspaper Collection, Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild, and more.
Used for: Literature, Liberal Arts, Humanities
Library Copy: Hesburgh Library Reference Desk LB 2369 .G53 2009. MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. Printed 7th ed., 2009. (other copies)
Software to easily import or add citations. Create and store bibliographies automatically in chosen style format.
Free basic online citation managers, with limited functionality: Mendeley,
Other Guides for Citing Sources:
Other suggested sites? Contact us
Used for: Sciences, Social Sciences.
Library copy: Hesburgh Library Reference Desk BF 76.7 .P83 2010 Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Printed 6th ed., 2010 (other copies)
Chicago Manual of Style
Used for: Arts, History, Literature, Sciences
Electronic Access: Chicago Manual of Style
Library copy: Hesburgh Library Reference Desk Z 253. U69 2010. Chicago Manual of Style. Printed 16th ed., 2010 (other copies)
Used for: Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences.
Library Copy: Hesburgh Library Reference Desk LB 2369 .T8 2007. Turabian, Kate. A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations. 7th ed., 2007 (other copies)
ASA Style Guide
Used for: Sociology
Library Copy: Not available at this time.
- Quick Style Guide. American Sociological Association. 2007. American Sociological Association Style Guide. 3rd ed. Washington, DC
AAA: American Anthropological Association
Used for: Anthropology
Library copy: Not available at this time
AAA Style Guide American Anthropological Association, 2009
ACS: American Chemical Society
Used for: Chemistry
Library Copy: Chem/Physics [231 Nieuwland] General Collection
QD 8.5 .A25 2006 The ACS Style Guide. Printed 3rd. ed., 2006 (other copies)
Turnitin.com : For ND Faculty
Investigating Possible Plagiarism
In the Fall of 2002, the University joined Turnitin.com to provide assistance to faculty checking possible plagiarism from the internet. However, due to the very limited ways in which Turnitin had been used, the University decided to drop its institutional subscription and to provide individual licenses on an as-needed basis. Faculty members can get these individual subscriptions of Turnitin.com at the university’s expense.
Other highly effective alternative means of detecting plagiarism include Google (simply run a search on suspect passages) and WCopyfind, a freeware program available for download at the following site: http://plagiarism.phys.virginia.edu/Wsoftware.html
For assistance purchasing an individual license to Turnitin.com, please contact Jeanne Bowen, Officer Assistant in the Provost’s Office.
Office (firstname.lastname@example.org; 631–5716).
CSE: Council of Science Editors
Used for: Natural sciences, including Biology, Geology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics
Library copy: Hesburgh Library Reference Collection T 11 .S386 2006 Scientific style and format. Printed 7th ed., 2006
Article databases that include book reviews
Federal Tax Forms and Publications
- Online Forms: Select and download multiple Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Forms and Publications.
- Paper Forms: IRS Paper forms and publications are no longer available in the Hesburgh Libraries. All tax forms are available from the IRS office in South Bend, Indiana located at 100 E. Wayne Street. This office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They can be contacted by phone at (574) 236-8149.
- Forms by Phone: Forms and publications are also available by phone: 1-800-TAX-FORM.
- IRS e-file (electronic filing): The IRS e-file program offers quick, easy, and accurate alternatives to paper returns.
Indiana Tax Forms and Publications
- Online Forms: Select and download Indiana Department of Revenue muliple forms and publications.
- Paper Forms: Paper forms are no longer available at the Hesburgh Libraries.
- Email: Forms and publications can by requested by sending an email to the Indiana Department of Revenue at email@example.com.
- Fax: The Tax Fax system allows taxpayers and preparers to dial a fax machine and request a publication or form by number. The Tax Fax number is 1-317-233-2329.
- INfreefile (electronic filing): Link to Indiana filing and payment methods.
Other State Tax Forms and Publications
Tax Assistance Programs
- Federal tax questions by phone: 1-800-829-1040.
Calculators, Converters and Currency
Photographs and Images
Library, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and photographs, illustrated books, printed ephemera, and more. [less]
and international serial titles, including newspapers; data from more than 100,000 publishers worldwide, including e-mail and Internet addresses; and Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal Classifications for every entry. [less]
How do I find?
Maps and GIS
- National Atlas of the United States
Designed to provide a reliable summary of national-scale geographical information.
A-Z Maps Online contains 4,000+ maps of continents, countries, and states as well as political, population, climate, and other thematic maps
- Digital Sanborn Maps 1867-1970 includes more than 660,000 large-scale maps of more than 12,000 American towns and cities.
- Google Earth
Free high resolution mapping software with satellite imagery. Download required
- Barrington atlas of the Greek and Roman world map-by-map directory
Provides information about every place or feature in the Barrington Atlas, including references to ancient testimony or modern studies. ... [more] Usage info: Licensed for one concurrent user. Access info: The directory, in PDF format, accompanies the Barrington atlas (located in the Reference Atlas section, call number G 1033 .B3 2000). [less]
- GIS Atlas for Indiana
Online atlas providing information on demographics, hydrology, elevation, geology, mining and much more for the state of Indiana.
- Map collections, 1500-2004
Library of Congress map collections. Part of the American Memory project.
- Maps at Hesburgh Libraries provides information on maps at Hesburgh libraries and web resources for maps.
- University of Colorado Boulder Map Library links to online resources
Related Subject Guides
Related Course Guides
Go To Full Version