Some places to look for ideas about products and opinions of them:
- Conduct a Google search. Some search words and phrases that might help include "innovative products," "top products," "top 100 products," etc.
- Conduct a search of blogs by using one of the following blog search engines:
- Google Blog Search
- Technorati- Real-time search for user-generated media (including weblogs) by tag or keyword. Also provides popularity indexes. Technorati was founded to help bloggers succeed by collecting, highlighting, and distributing the global online conversation. Founded as the first blog search engine.
- Popular Mechanics
- Epinions.com- According to their website, "Epinions helps people make informed buying decisions. It is a premier consumer reviews platform on the Web and a reliable source for valuable consumer insight, unbiased advice, in-depth product evaluations and personalized recommendations."
- Geekwire.com - Geekwire is "an independent technology news site and online community based in Seattle, Washington covering the people, companies and innovations emerging from the Pacific Northwest and impacting the world."
The following are good places to start for patent information:
- Google Patents (Beta)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office - U.S. Dept. of Commerce
- Patent Lens
- European Patent Office
Also, take a look at the Guide to Patents created by Carol Brach, Engineering Librarian at the University of Notre Dame.