Industry Code Searching
How do I find the SIC/NAICS code for an industry?
The following tools can help in determining what the codes are for various industries:
- Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) System Search- From the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (United States Department of Labor), this webpage allows you to search the 1987 version of the SIC manual by keyword to access descriptive information for a specified 2,3,4-digit SIC. You can also examine the manual structure on this page. A search using the word “solar” produces 6 different SIC codes as results.
- Free NAICS & SIC Code Lookup- From the NAICS Association, this page allows you to enter keywords that describe a line of business and get the resulting NAICS codes as well as descriptions of the industries. You can also search by code number, both SIC and NAICS. A search using the word “solar” produced 16 results.
*Once you have the industry code, you can search several different library/research databases by that code to come up with a list of companies classified in that industry.
How do I find out what companies are in an industry once I have a code?
In any of the following databases you can enter a Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code, a NAICS code, OR an industry description and generate a list of companies (both public and private) in that industry:
- Select the Industries tab from the menu bar. Enter a NAICS code or industry keywords, or choose from the alphabetical industry list. Each report provides a list of top companies in the industry.
- Basic information about companies.
- In the 'Available Databases' section, hover over 'U.S. Businesses' OR 'U.S. New Businesses' and click Search.
- Select the 'Custom Search' tab.
- Select 'Business Type' from the choices on the left.
- Click the box next to 'Keyword/SIC/NAICS' to open the search page.
- Very basic information about companies.
- Select 'Advanced Search >>' from the opening screen.
- Use the links under the 'Industry Criteria' section to build a list.
- From the home page, select 'Companies' in blue from the options on the left side of the screen.
- Select 'Dossier Create a Company List'.
- Fill in an SIC or NAICS code.
Business Library staff says...
- A code is not essential, but it can be helpful in doing industry research. In other words, you can also search for information about an industry in the databases above by using a keyword or two.
- The databases vary in what type and kind of information is available about an industry.
- If you are unable to determine the appropriate SIC code for an industry but know a company that is part of that industry, look up that company in the databases above to see what code(s) is/are assigned to that company.
- It is important to know that many companies have more than one SIC/NAICS Code associated with them. As an example, PepsiCo Inc., a leading global snack and beverage company that is involved in several different industries, has the following SIC codes assigned to it:
- 2086 - Bottled & Canned Soft Drinks
- 2096 - Potato Chips, Corn Chips & Snacks
- 2033 - Canned Fruits Vegetables Etc.
- 2099 - Food Preparations, Not Elsewhere Classified